Tennis-Tomic sentenced to eight months but won't serve jail time
MADRID, Sept 6
MADRID, Sept 6 (Reuters) - John Tomic, father and coach of Australian world number 52 Bernard, has been sentenced to eight months in prison after he beat up his son's practice partner in a Madrid street in May, a court said on Friday.
But the 49-year-old, who said he acted in self-defence when he butted Thomas Drouet in the face and broke his nose, will not have to serve jail time as his sentence is less than two years, a court official said. (Reporting by Iain Rogers editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'open aggression' as rebels advance |
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-U.S. Open women's singles round 4 results
- Australia unveils fresh sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- Iceland cuts aviation alert to orange, no ash from new eruption |