Tennis-Tomic sentenced to eight months but won't serve jail time
MADRID, Sept 6
MADRID, Sept 6 (Reuters) - John Tomic, father and coach of Australian world number 52 Bernard, has been sentenced to eight months in prison after he beat up his son's practice partner in a Madrid street in May, a court said on Friday.
But the 49-year-old, who said he acted in self-defence when he butted Thomas Drouet in the face and broke his nose, will not have to serve jail time as his sentence is less than two years, a court official said. (Reporting by Iain Rogers editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day