Albania hopes dented by Slovenia defeat
(Reuters) - Albania's hopes of securing automatic qualification for the World Cup were dealt a blow when they were beaten 1-0 in Slovenia in Group E on Friday.
Kevin Kampl grabbed a 19th-minute winner for the hosts to leave Albania in third place on 10 points, five adrift of group leaders Switzerland with three games to play.
Slovenia stayed fifth on nine, but still have a slim chance of finishing second and grabbing a spot in the playoffs.
After a positive start, Slovenia took the lead when Kampl fired home with a rasping drive from distance that flew into the top corner.
Albania pushed forward in the second half and Slovenia goalkeeper Samir Handanovic was called into action to deny a close-range effort from Lorik Cana and a strike from outside the box by Hamdi Salihi.
Albania travel to Iceland on Tuesday and Slovenia visit Cyprus.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin says Russia not isolated over Ukraine, blames West for frosty ties
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- France's Sarkozy wants EU to lose half its powers
- India approves $2.6 billion mounted gun purchase - official
- Gasquet to face Federer in Davis Cup singles