New Mexico high court to hear arguments for same-sex marriage statewide
SANTA FE, New Mexico
SANTA FE, New Mexico (Reuters) - The New Mexico Supreme Court agreed on Friday to decide whether to legalise same-sex matrimony statewide, after several counties recently began issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, lawyers representing the couples said.
The state's high court set a hearing for October 23 to consider a request by the New Mexico Association of Counties for a decision that would settle the issue for all 33 counties statewide, according to the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Centre for Lesbian Rights.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S.-Israeli tensions rise as hostilities in Gaza subside |
- Ferrovial to bid $1.4 bln for Australia's John Holland -Spain's Expansion
- Britons warier about house-buying - Halifax
- Boko Haram kidnaps wife of Cameroon's vice PM, kills at least three
- More than 50 Israeli reservists refuse to serve - Washington Post