New Mexico high court to hear arguments for same-sex marriage statewide
SANTA FE, New Mexico
SANTA FE, New Mexico (Reuters) - The New Mexico Supreme Court agreed on Friday to decide whether to legalise same-sex matrimony statewide, after several counties recently began issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, lawyers representing the couples said.
The state's high court set a hearing for October 23 to consider a request by the New Mexico Association of Counties for a decision that would settle the issue for all 33 counties statewide, according to the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Centre for Lesbian Rights.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew as rescue hampered by tides |
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard on trial for assault