Tennis-Berdych and Stepanek send Czechs into Davis Cup final
PRAGUE, Sept 14
PRAGUE, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek put defending champions Czech Republic into the Davis Cup final by beating Argentina's Carlos Berlocq and Horacio Zeballos in the doubles on Saturday.
World number five Berdych and U.S. Open doubles champion Stepanek defeated the Argentines 6-3 6-4 6-2, giving the Czechs an unassailable 3-0 lead in their semi-final and a place in their third final in five years.
They will face either Canada or Serbia on Nov. 15-17.
The Czechs' all-time best doubles pairing with a 13-1 record were playing together for the first time this season and, after winning their singles matches on Friday, looked more at ease than the Argentines with the faster play on the hard court at Prague's O2 Arena.
The Czech Republic also defeated Argentina in Buenos Aires in last year's semi-finals on their way to lifting the Cup for the first time since Czechoslovakia won it in 1980. (Reporting by Jason Hovet; Editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China Sea |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- UPDATE 3-Boeing reports wing cracks on 787 Dreamliners in production
- CORRECTED-WRAPUP 1-Malaysia Airlines denies crash report, says plane still missing
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |