Tennis-Berdych and Stepanek send Czechs into Davis Cup final
PRAGUE, Sept 14
PRAGUE, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek put defending champions Czech Republic into the Davis Cup final by beating Argentina's Carlos Berlocq and Horacio Zeballos in the doubles on Saturday.
World number five Berdych and U.S. Open doubles champion Stepanek defeated the Argentines 6-3 6-4 6-2, giving the Czechs an unassailable 3-0 lead in their semi-final and a place in their third final in five years.
They will face either Canada or Serbia on Nov. 15-17.
The Czechs' all-time best doubles pairing with a 13-1 record were playing together for the first time this season and, after winning their singles matches on Friday, looked more at ease than the Argentines with the faster play on the hard court at Prague's O2 Arena.
The Czech Republic also defeated Argentina in Buenos Aires in last year's semi-finals on their way to lifting the Cup for the first time since Czechoslovakia won it in 1980. (Reporting by Jason Hovet; Editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada's capital |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin red group results
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients