Tennis-Davis Cup 2014 draw pits Czechs against Dutch
LONDON, Sept 18
LONDON, Sept 18 (Reuters) - Top seeds Czech Republic were drawn on Wednesday to play their opening round of the 2014 Davis Cup World Group competition at home to the Netherlands.
The winners in 2012, the Czechs have reached the final again this year and will play Serbia in Belgrade on Nov. 15-17.
Serbia, the second seeds and winners in 2010, were drawn at home to Switzerland while world number two Rafael Nadal's Spain will play in Germany.
Britain, helped back by Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, return to the elite after a five-year absence with a trip to the United States - who played the very first Davis Cup tie against Britain in 1900.
World Group draw (first-named country playing at home, prefix number denotes seeding):
Germany v 3-Spain
1-Czech Republic v Netherlands
Japan v 7-Canada
5-France v Australia
6-United States v Britain
4-Argentina v Italy
8-Kazakhstan v Belgium
2-Serbia v Switzerland (Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Boxing champ Klitschko faces ban on running for Ukraine presidency
- Obama and Castro shake hands, Zuma humiliated at Mandela memorial |
- Battling City shatter Bayern air of invincibility
- Abandoned Galatasaray v Juve match to resume Wednesday
- Boos, jeers humiliate South Africa's Zuma at Mandela memorial