Tennis-Wildcard Zhang to meet qualifier King in Guangzhou final
Sept 20 (Reuters) - China's wildcard entrant Zhang Shuai entered her maiden WTA Tour singles final on Friday to set up a title clash with American qualifier Vania King in the Guangzhou Open.
Zhang, ranked 112th in the world, had an easy outing in the semi-final against Austria's Yvonne Meusburger and picked up her fourth straight-set win of the event with a 6-1 6-1 victory.
King, 124th in the rankings, rallied from a set down to beat the other Chinese Zheng Jie 3-6 7-5 6-3 in the $500,000 hard-court tournament, where none of the seeded players could make it to the last four. (Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; Editing by John Mehaffey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- UK's Lloyds says case strengthened for re-starting dividends
- Insight - European regulators training sights on Google's mobile software
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction |
- 'Complacent' NATO unprepared for Russian threat - MPs