Portugal call up defender Sereno for injured Alves
LISBON (Reuters) - Portugal have called up center back Sereno to replace the injured Bruno Alves for the World Cup Group F qualifying matches against Israel on Friday and Luxembourg four days later.
Sereno plays for Turkish top-flight club Kayserispor and won his first international cap in June.
The Portuguese Football Federation confirmed the withdrawal of experienced Fenerbahce defender Alves in a statement but did not disclose his injury.
Portugal are second in the table, one point behind leaders Russia and five ahead of Israel. Luxembourg are second from bottom.
(Reporting by Daniel Alvarenga; editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast - source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack - sources |
- High-profile British rail union leader Bob Crow dies
- Insight - Scotland's Salmond talks independence, but plays politics
- Ukraine forms new defence force, seeks Western help |