Portugal call up defender Sereno for injured Alves
LISBON (Reuters) - Portugal have called up center back Sereno to replace the injured Bruno Alves for the World Cup Group F qualifying matches against Israel on Friday and Luxembourg four days later.
Sereno plays for Turkish top-flight club Kayserispor and won his first international cap in June.
The Portuguese Football Federation confirmed the withdrawal of experienced Fenerbahce defender Alves in a statement but did not disclose his injury.
Portugal are second in the table, one point behind leaders Russia and five ahead of Israel. Luxembourg are second from bottom.
(Reporting by Daniel Alvarenga; editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hurricane-force winds hit Britain and close in on Europe
- China bars banks from bitcoin transactions
- Osborne says vindicated by growth rebound, vows to stay on course |
- Special Report - Thailand secretly dumps Myanmar refugees into trafficking rings
- UPDATE 2-Iran, Iraq put OPEC on notice of big oil increases