Samsung Electronics reports record third-quarter as chip profit hits three-year high
SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co Ltd's quarterly operating profit matched estimates with a 26 percent rise to a new record, powered by a strong recovery in its memory chip business as smartphone sales growth eases sharply.
The world's top smartphone vendor said July-September operating profit rose to 10.2 trillion won ($9.6 billion), in line with its estimate.
Profits at its chip business doubled to 2.06 trillion won, its highest in three years.
The mobile division, Samsung's biggest earnings generator, reported a record 6.7 trillion won profit as a greater variety of cheaper Galaxy smartphones boosted shipment volumes and helped counter weakening growth in the lucrative high-end segment. ($1 = 1061.0500 Korean won)
(Reporting by Miyoung Kim; Editing by Stephen Coates and Richard Pullin)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles quarterfinal results