BAE to stop shipbuilding at Portsmouth shipyard - BBC
LONDON (Reuters) - British defence contractor BAE Systems is set to announce the end of shipbuilding at its Portsmouth shipyard on the south coast of England, the BBC reported on Wednesday.
The broadcaster said that the announcement, originally expected on Thursday, would be brought forward to Wednesday morning. It said no new ships would be built at Portsmouth although repair and maintenance work would continue there.
The BBC reported late on Tuesday that the company was set to announce potentially more than 1,000 job losses across its three ships yards in Glasgow and Portsmouth. It employs 1,200 in shipbuilding at Portsmouth.
(Reporting by Brenda Goh; Editing by Rhys Jones)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- China urges Japan to break from aggressive past after Abe honours war criminals
- Islamic State executes soldiers, takes hostages at Syria base - social media
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence