Tennis-Djokovic through to semi-finals after downing Del Potro
LONDON Nov 7 (Reuters) - Novak Djokovic joined Rafa Nadal as a guaranteed semi-finalist at the ATP World Tour Finals with a 6-3 3-6 6-3 victory over Argentine Juan Martin del Potro on Thursday.
The 26-year-old Serb absorbed some brutish attacks from Del Potro before stretching away in the deciding set to earn himself a second victory in Group B.
Del Potro now faces a shoot-out with Roger Federer on Saturday to see which of them will join defending champion Djokovic in the last four of the year-ender.
Earlier Federer beat Richard Gasquet in straight sets to get off the mark after losing his opening match to Djokovic.
Nadal is already assured of a semi-final berth having won both his Group A matches, sealing the year-end world number one ranking in the process. (Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Alison Wildey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists