Turkish navy tugboat capsizes, 10 killed
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - A Turkish navy tugboat capsized while docked for repairs at a shipyard on the Aegean coast on Monday, killing 10 people, the military said.
Eight of the dead were military personnel and two were civilian workers, local media said. Seventeen other military personnel were injured.
The tugboat, TCG Degirmendere, was being lowered into the sea after maintenance work at the Izmir shipyard when it suddenly listed to one side, taking on water, the military said in a statement.
(Writing by Ece Toksabay; Editing by Louise Ireland)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles quarterfinals results
- Sunken Korea ferry relatives give DNA swabs to help identify dead |
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- Pope Good Friday service underscores plight of the suffering