Tennis-Murray beaten by Mayer in Qatar
Jan 1 (Reuters) - Wimbledon champion Andy Murray lost 3-6 6-4 6-2 to German Florian Mayer in the Qatar Open second round on Wednesday, his second competitive match since returning from a back injury.
The third-seeded Briton, who beat Mousa Zayed 6-0 6-0 in the first round, led 3-0 in the second set before Mayer won five games in a row and the world number 40 dominated the decider in Doha to seal victory in just under two hours.
Murray, the world number four, will head to Melbourne for this month's Australian Open having played only two exhibitions and two ATP Tour matches since undergoing back surgery in September. (Writing by Ed Osmond in London)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence