Tennis-Serena overcomes misfiring serve to flatten Sharapova
BRISBANE Jan 3 (Reuters) - Serena Williams did not let her misfiring serve stop her from defeating Maria Sharapova 6-2 7-6 (9-7) to reach the final of the Brisbane International on Friday.
The American world number one extended her winning streak over the Russian to 14 matches.
Williams prevailed despite serving poorly throughout, with Sharapova unable to take advantage in a match where there were 10 breaks of serve in total.
The American will now face world number two Victoria Azarenka in Saturday's final after the Belarusian defeated Serbia's Jelena Jankovic 1-6 6-3 6-4. (Reporting by Ciaran Baynes, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- In class obsessed Britain, tweet of 'white van' man hits nerve
- European Parliament may propose Google break-up in draft resolution
- Aviva in £5.6 billion deal to buy Friends Life after pensions shake-up
- Serbian fan killed in Istanbul Euroleague violence – consul