Five dead after explosion at Mitsubishi Materials plant in Japan - NHK
TOKYO (Reuters) - Five people died in an explosion at a Mitsubishi Materials Corp chemicals plant in western Japan on Thursday, national broadcaster NHK reported, citing local police.
An official at the local fire department, in Yokkaichi, could not immediately confirm the deaths but told Reuters that 17 people had sustained injuries, five of them serious.
No other details were immediately available. An official at Mitsubishi Materials said the company was still gathering information.
The fire has been extinguished, the fire department official said.
(Reporting by Nobuhiro Kubo; Writing by Chang-Ran Kim; Editing by Edmund Klamann)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco cuts outlook after finding accounting error
- Cameron shifts tack on constitutional shake-up to mollify Scots
- Nationalists push for Irish unity vote after 'inspiring' Scottish referendum
- Nonplussed Lampard rewrites his Chelsea story with City goal
- China shooters disqualified, reinstated, set world record