Tennis-Li dumps Swiss to reach third round in Melbourne heat
MELBOURNE Jan 15 (Reuters) - Li Na struck back for the older generation of women's tennis by fending off gutsy 16-year-old qualifier Belinda Bencic 6-0 7-6 (5) to reach the third round of the Australian Open on Wednesday.
Swiss Bencic, who knocked out Japan's Kimiko Date-Krumm, the oldest woman in the draw in the first round, lost seven straight games before steadying to surprise the Chinese fourth seed with her tenacity in a tense second set played out in stifling heat at Rod Laver Arena.
Taken deep into the deciding tiebreak, Li sealed the match by crunching a backhand winner down the line.
Li will next face qualifier Lucie Hradecka or another Czech in 26th seed Lucie Safarova.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- UPDATE 11-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman