REFILE-Olympics-Tretyak and Rodnina light flame at Sochi opening ceremony
(Refiles to fix spelling in headline)
SOCHI, Russia Feb 7 (Reuters) - The honour of lighting the Sochi Olympic flame was given to two triple Olympics champions on Friday as Vladislav Tretyak and Irina Rodnina jointly lit the cauldron at Russia's first Winter Games on Friday.
The 61-year-old Tretyak, who won three Olympic ice hockey golds and a silver as goaltender for the Soviet Union and is president of Russia's ice hockey federation, received the torch from figure skater Rodnina and both former Olympians jogged from the arena to ignite the flame.
(Editing by Mitch Phillips)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UKIP on course to win second parliamentary seat - poll
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks |