Tennis-Sony Open locked down due to suspicious package
MIAMI, March 25
MIAMI, March 25 (Reuters) - The Sony Open was locked down on Tuesday with thousands of spectators prevented from entering or leaving the sprawling tennis complex in Miami while a bomb squad was called in to investigate a suspicious package.
"Earlier this evening a suspicious package was left unattended at the front gate," the tournament said in a statement. "For the safety of the public the Miami-Dade police have set up a perimeter and cordoned off the area until the package can be secured."
(Reporting by Steve Keating in Miami. Editing by Ian Ransom)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |