Tennis-Cibulkova upsets Radwanska to reach Miami semis
MIAMI, March 26
MIAMI, March 26 (Reuters) - Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova fought of three match points to claim a 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 upset win over third seed Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland on Wednesday to reach the Sony Open semis.
Trailing 5-4 in the second set and serving to stay alive, 10th seed Cibulkova staved off three match points before holding and then breaking Radwanska en route to winning the set in a tiebreak.
Radwanska, with her left knee and right shoulder already heavily taped, called for the trainer at the change over and had even more plaster applied to right hand.
When play resumed Radwanska quickly found herself down a break and could never regain control as Cibulkova, who took out three-time champion Venus Williams in the fourth round, advanced to the final four for the first time in eight trips to Miami.
She will now await the winner between world number two Li Na and former world number one Caroline Wozniacki, who play later on Wednesday. (Reporting by Steve Keating in Miami; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally