Tennis-Berdych follows Nishikori and withdraws from Miami
MIAMI, March 28
MIAMI, March 28 (Reuters) - World number one Rafa Nadal received a walkover into the final of the Sony Open when seventh seed Tomas Berdych pulled out with gastroenteritis on Friday just hours after Japan's Kei Nishikori withdrew, handing Novak Djokovic a free pass.
Nishikori was forced out of the tournament with a groin injury.
The shocking withdrawals left the Miami Masters event without any semi-final action but produced a mouth-watering final on Sunday featuring Nadal and Djokovic the world's two top-ranked players.
With Berdych's withdrawal Nadal advances to the final for a fourth time where he will try for his first title on the Miami hardcourts against three-time champion Djokovic. (Reporting by Steve Keating in Miami. Editing by Gene Cherry)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Separatists say will allow 'trapped' Ukrainian forces to withdraw |
- Iceland lowers volcano alert, says small eruption no threat to aviation
- Russia says military planning will take account of NATO moves on borders