Tennis-Nishikori pulls out of Miami semi with groin injury
MIAMI, March 28
MIAMI, March 28 (Reuters) - World number two Novak Djokovic received a walkover into the final of Sony Open on Friday after Japan's Kei Nishikori withdrew with a groin injury.
Nishikori had reached the last four after registering a pair of three-set upsets over Spanish fourth seed David Ferrer in fourth round followed by a quarter-final win over Swiss 17-times grand slam winner Roger Federer.
The ATP Tour made the announcement an hour before the 20th seeded Nishikori was about to take to centre court.
Djokovic, a three-time winner on the Miami hardcourts, will now await the winner of the other semi-final between world number one Rafa Nadal and Tomas Berdych. (Reporting by Steve Keating in Miami. Editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Child abuse revelations divide "most shameful town in Britain"
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Russian forces strengthening positions in Ukraine - Kiev military