Tennis-Nishikori pulls out of Miami semi with groin injury
MIAMI, March 28
MIAMI, March 28 (Reuters) - World number two Novak Djokovic received a walkover into the final of Sony Open on Friday after Japan's Kei Nishikori withdrew with a groin injury.
Nishikori had reached the last four after registering a pair of three-set upsets over Spanish fourth seed David Ferrer in fourth round followed by a quarter-final win over Swiss 17-times grand slam winner Roger Federer.
The ATP Tour made the announcement an hour before the 20th seeded Nishikori was about to take to centre court.
Djokovic, a three-time winner on the Miami hardcourts, will now await the winner of the other semi-final between world number one Rafa Nadal and Tomas Berdych. (Reporting by Steve Keating in Miami. Editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine says EU to be guarantor in any Russia gas deal
- Rebound in FTSE halted by drop in BT and commodity stocks
- U.S. nurse defies Maine's Ebola quarantine, takes bike ride |
- Shell outpaces peers with profit growth, keeps spending
- Barclays sets aside 500 million pounds for FX fines as profits rise |