Tennis-Sharapova fights back to win Stuttgart title
April 27 (Reuters) - Sixth seed Maria Sharapova fought back from a set and a break down to beat Ana Ivanovic 3-6 6-4 6-1 and win her third consecutive Stuttgart title on Sunday.
Former world number one Ivanovic raced to a 5-0 lead before taking the first set and breaking early in the second as the Serbian seemed set for victory. Sharapova, however, had other ideas and took 11 of the final 13 games.
"For the first half of the match I thought it might not be my day today, but somehow I turned it around," the Russian told reporters after winning the 30th WTA title of her career.
"I had quite a slow beginning to the year, but me and my team have been working hard to get in the position to win titles again."
(Reporting By Sam Holden; Editing by Brian Homewood)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health
- Manchester United top deadline-day big spenders
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down