Tennis-Nadal wins Madrid title as injured Nishikori retires
MADRID May 11 (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal won a second successive Madrid Open title when Kei Nishikori was forced to retire in the third set of Sunday's final with an apparent back injury.
Japanese 10th seed Nishikori made a blistering start on Nadal's favoured clay to win the first set 6-2 and was a break up in the second before the Spanish world number one hit back to win it 6-4 and force a decider.
In a tremendously disappointing finish to an entertaining encounter, Nishikori was struck down by what appeared to be a back spasm and despite treatment had to retire with Nadal leading 3-0 in the third set. (Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital |
- Analysis - Financial market storm brewing as 2014 winds down
- UPDATE 6-Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- New EU executive runs into trouble in parliament
- Pennsylvania's Catholic bishops forbid boys to wrestle girls