Schweinsteiger is Bayern doubt for Cup final
BERLIN (Reuters) - Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is doubtful for the German Cup final against Borussia Dortmund on Saturday after picking up a knee injury.
Schweinsteiger, who missed much of the season with an ankle problem but has been named in Germany's provisional 30-man squad for next month's World Cup, suffered inflammation in his left knee and will be training alone for a few days.
The player was taken off after 37 minutes of Bayern's Bundesliga season finale on Saturday, a 1-0 win over VfB Stuttgart.
"He has to reduce training intensity for a few days and will have an individual training programme," Bayern said in a statement on Monday.
Schweinsteiger is hoping to be fit for Germany's pre-World Cup training camp starting on May 21. Coach Joachim Loew has to finalise his 23-man squad by June 2.
(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Sweden says credible reports of foreign submarine in its waters
- Lufthansa cancels flights due to pilots strike; train stoppage strands millions |
- EU's Barroso to Britain - Don't alienate your friends in Europe
- Hong Kong crisis deepens after weekend clashes, talks set for Tuesday |
- Fiercest fighting in days hits Syrian border town |