Russia could build eight nuclear reactors for Iran
MOSCOW May 22 (Reuters) - Russia could sign an agreement this year to build eight new reactors for nuclear power plants in Iran, state-run Russian news agency RIA reported on Thursday, citing a source it did not identify.
Russia built Iran's only operating nuclear power reactor, at the Bushehr plant.
Longstanding Western fears that the Bushehr project could help Iran develop nuclear weapons - something it denies it is seeking to do - receded after Iran promised to send the spent fuel from the plant back to Russia.
(Writing by Steve Gutterman; Editing by Alissa de Carbonnel)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Nationalists push for Irish unity vote after 'inspiring' Scottish referendum
- India gets its first transgender TV news anchor - newspaper
- More Ukrainian soldiers killed, Poroshenko defends peace plan
- Cameron shifts tack on constitutional shake-up to mollify Scots
- Nonplussed Lampard rewrites his Chelsea story with City goal