Tennis-Serena huffs and puffs into second round in Paris
PARIS May 25 (Reuters) - World number one Serena Williams huffed and puffed into the second round of the French Open with a 6-2 6-1 win over local favourite Alize Lim on Sunday.
The defending champion sprayed court Philippe Chatrier with unforced errors in a match that was not as one-sided as the score line suggested.
Williams was so confident she would crush her training partner that she warmed up for the encounter wearing a blazer suit, but Lim proved to be a tenacious opponent despite her ranking of 138.
In the opening set, Lim claimed 27 points but surprisingly 23 of those came thanks to Williams's unforced errors.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets
- Palestinian fighters raid Israel on Gaza 'truce' day |
- Russia, Germany up diplomatic battle over Ukraine sanctions
- Ukraine claims more territory as fight intensifies with rebels
- Pushing locals aside, Russians take top rebel posts in east Ukraine