Tennis-Stosur stitched up after gym work goes wrong
PARIS May 26 (Reuters) - Samantha Stosur won her first match at the French Open on Monday with five stitches in her leg after misjudging a jump in the gym.
The Australian, winner of the U.S. Open in 2011, played with heavy strapping on her leg against Puerto Rico's Monica Puig but she showed few signs of discomfort in a 6-1 6-1 victory.
"I had an accident in the gym on Wednesday night and cut my leg pretty bad. I've got a guard on there so that if I hit myself it's not going to hurt so bad," Stosur said.
"I was doing some box jumps, and I actually don't know how I managed to do it, but I missed it and landed straight on my leg, on the edge.
"I didn't know what I had done. I thought it was really bad. So I saw everything flashing before my eyes.
"But when I went to the hospital and the doctor stitched me up, he said I will be fine. But I guess you don't know until you have a couple of days go by."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hague court orders Russia to pay $50 billion in Yukos case
- Gaza fighting flares, Netanyahu and U.N. chief spar on truce terms |
- Russia, Germany up diplomatic battle over Ukraine sanctions
- Pushing locals aside, Russians take top rebel posts in east Ukraine
- Ukraine claims more territory as fight intensifies with rebels