Tennis-Nadal finds form to surge into French Open third round
PARIS May 29 (Reuters) - Eight-times champion Rafa Nadal showed glimpses of his awe-inspiring best as he beat Austrian sensation Dominic Thiem 6-2 6-2 6-3 to reach the French Open third round on Thursday.
The world No. 1 and 20-year-old Thiem traded forehand winners in a spectacular match on court Philippe Chatrier but the Spaniard too often had the extra shot.
Nadal, who for the first time arrived at Roland Garros having lost three matches on his favoured clay in the season, sealed victory on his second match point when Thiem sent a forehand long.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hong Kong protests approach potential National Day flashpoint |
- Hong Kong democracy protesters and officials mark uneasy National Day |
- Traveller from Liberia is first Ebola patient diagnosed in U.S.
- Lufthansa pilots' 15-hour strike affects 9,000 travellers
- UPDATE 4-Microsoft names next operating system 'Windows 10'