Tennis-Nadal faces 20-year-old Thiem in second round
May 29 (Reuters) - World number one Rafael Nadal faces highly-rated 20-year-old Dominic Thiem in the second round on Thursday as he continues his quest for a record-extending ninth French Open title.
Nadal breezed through his first-round match with a 6-0 6-3 6-0 win against Robby Ginepri while Austria's Thiem, in just his second major tournament, beat Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-4 7-6(3) 6-2.
Andy Murray, a two-time grand slam champion and Olympic gold medallist, is due to play Australia's Marinko Matosevic with a place in the third round at stake.
Last year's runner-up David Ferrer faces Italian Simone Bolelli while local favourites Gael Monfils and 12th seed Richard Gasquet are also in action.
Serbia's Jelena Jankovic opens proceedings on Philippe Chatrier against Japan's Kurumi Nara before compatriot Ana Ivanovic, winner of the 2008 French Open, faces Ukraine's Elina Svitolina. (Writing by Tom Hayward, editing by Mark Meadows)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UKIP on course to win second parliamentary seat - poll
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |