Tennis-Wawrinka given wildcard into Queen's Club tournament
LONDON May 29 (Reuters) - Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka has been handed a wildcard entry into the Aegon Championships at Queen's Club starting on June 9 as he looks to shake off a surprise defeat at Roland Garros.
World number three Wawrinka, beaten in round one by Spain's Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in Paris, will join a strong field at the traditional Wimbledon warm-up event.
"I am really looking forward to playing in the Aegon Championships and very grateful that the tournament saved a wildcard for me," the Swiss said on Thursday.
"It is an important tournament with a lot of history, and playing at The Queen's Club gives me the best possible chance to become comfortable on grass."
Holder Andy Murray, Tomas Berdych and Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga will also be in action at the west London club. (Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- UPDATE 11-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman