Tennis-Wawrinka given wildcard into Queen's Club tournament
LONDON May 29 (Reuters) - Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka has been handed a wildcard entry into the Aegon Championships at Queen's Club starting on June 9 as he looks to shake off a surprise defeat at Roland Garros.
World number three Wawrinka, beaten in round one by Spain's Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in Paris, will join a strong field at the traditional Wimbledon warm-up event.
"I am really looking forward to playing in the Aegon Championships and very grateful that the tournament saved a wildcard for me," the Swiss said on Thursday.
"It is an important tournament with a lot of history, and playing at The Queen's Club gives me the best possible chance to become comfortable on grass."
Holder Andy Murray, Tomas Berdych and Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga will also be in action at the west London club. (Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine says EU to be guarantor in any Russia gas deal
- Rebound in FTSE halted by drop in BT and commodity stocks
- Maine nurse fights Ebola quarantine, says will not be bullied |
- Shell outpaces peers with profit growth, keeps spending
- Barclays sets aside 500 million pounds for FX fines as profits rise |