Merkel backs Juncker for top EU job in speech to parliament
BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel reiterated in a speech in parliament on Wednesday that she was pressing her European counterparts to support Jean-Claude Juncker as the next president of the European Commission.
"I am holding lots of discussions with my European colleagues," Merkel said.
"We are talking about issues of substance. And I am also trying to ensure that the lead candidate of the European People's Party, Jean-Claude Juncker, receives the qualified majority he needs to become the next president of the European Commission. The entire German government is pushing for this."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Rebound in FTSE halted by drop in BT and commodity stocks
- Ukraine gas supplies in doubt as Russia seeks EU payment deal
- Maine nurse fights Ebola quarantine, says will not be bullied |
- Kurdish convoy heads to Syria to take on Islamic State |
- For 23rd time, U.N. nations urge end to U.S. embargo on Cuba |