Merkel backs Juncker for top EU job in speech to parliament
BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel reiterated in a speech in parliament on Wednesday that she was pressing her European counterparts to support Jean-Claude Juncker as the next president of the European Commission.
"I am holding lots of discussions with my European colleagues," Merkel said.
"We are talking about issues of substance. And I am also trying to ensure that the lead candidate of the European People's Party, Jean-Claude Juncker, receives the qualified majority he needs to become the next president of the European Commission. The entire German government is pushing for this."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |
- Golf-U.S. PGA Tour Deutsche Bank Championship scores
- Blind joins while Manchester United wait on Falcao