Tennis-Halep beats Petkovic to reach first grand slam final
PARIS, June 5
PARIS, June 5 (Reuters) - Simona Halep reached her first grand slam final when she beat Germany's Andrea Petkovic 6-2 7-6(4) in the semi-finals of the French Open on Thursday.
The Romanian fourth seed, who will face 2012 champion and last year's runner-up Maria Sharapova on Saturday, blazed through the opening set as her 28th-seeded opponent struggled with early nerves.
She fell a break down in the second but recovered to force a tiebreak which she always controlled.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- India approves $2.6 billion mounted gun purchase - official
- Volunteer snow shovelers hit Buffalo streets as flooding fears rise |
- Somali Islamists execute 28 non-Muslims on Kenyan bus |
- France's Sarkozy wants EU to lose half its powers