Tennis-Halep beats Petkovic to reach first grand slam final
PARIS, June 5
PARIS, June 5 (Reuters) - Simona Halep reached her first grand slam final when she beat Germany's Andrea Petkovic 6-2 7-6(4) in the semi-finals of the French Open on Thursday.
The Romanian fourth seed, who will face 2012 champion and last year's runner-up Maria Sharapova on Saturday, blazed through the opening set as her 28th-seeded opponent struggled with early nerves.
She fell a break down in the second but recovered to force a tiebreak which she always controlled.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Sweden says credible reports of foreign submarine in its waters
- Hong Kong crisis deepens after weekend clashes, talks set for Tuesday |
- Lufthansa cancels flights due to pilots strike; train stoppage strands millions |
- Comet makes rare close pass by Mars as spacecraft watch
- Germany plans tougher controls on would-be jihadists