Tennis-Hingis granted Wimbledon doubles wildcard
LONDON, June 11
LONDON, June 11 (Reuters) - Former world number one Martina Hingis has been awarded a wildcard for the Wimbledon doubles competition as she continues her second comeback following her retirement in 2007.
The 33-year-old Swiss, who won five singles and nine doubles grand slam titles, returned last year with Daniela Hantuchova but found little success.
She will partner Russia's Vera Zvonareva at the All England Club.
In March she won her first title since 2007, the year of her last appearance at Wimbledon, when she triumphed with German Sabine Lisicki at the Sony Open in Miami.
Former Australian Open men's finalist Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus has a wildcard into the men's singles. (Reporting by Josh Reich, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally