Tennis-Halep seizes Centre Court chance to open Wimbledon account
LONDON, June 24
LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) - Third seed Simona Halep made the most of the Centre Court stage gifted to her in a scheduling change, disposing of her Brazilian opponent Teliana Pereira 6-2 6-2 in a clinical display on Tuesday.
Runner-up at the French Open last month and a quarter- finalist at the Australian Open in January, Halep called the victory which opened her account at this year's Wimbledon "pretty easy".
The 22-year-old Romanian, who has raced up the rankings over the last year, found out her match against world No.88 Pereira had been shifted to the main show court just an hour before play.
"The court is beautiful. I had a good start to this tournament," she said.
Braving gusty conditions to reach the second round at the All England Club, the Romanian equalled her best past performance at the competition, having also made it beyond the first round last year and in 2011.
This year, though, she said she can progress further.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Serbian fan killed in Istanbul Euroleague violence – consul
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- Islamic State targeted in 30 air strikes by U.S., allies
- In class obsessed Britain, tweet of 'white van' man hits nerve
- Conservatives, states set to launch legal blitz against Obama over immigration