Tennis-Sharapova strides into fourth round
LONDON, June 28
LONDON, June 28 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova hit top gear under a closed Centre Court roof at a rain-hit Wimbledon as she won 11 games on the trot to cruise past American Alison Riske 6-3 6-0 to reach the fourth round on Saturday.
The fifth seed, bidding for a French Open-Wimbledon double, made a shaky start as she was broken by Riske in the first game but soon found her rhythm.
Sharapova, who exited in the second round last year, showed her class by producing scorching passing shots against a net-charging Riske and has now lost only seven games in three matches.
She will continue her bid to win a second Wimbledon title against either German ninth seed Angelique Kerber or Belgian Kirsten Flipkens. (Reporting by Sarah Young, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Singer Kesha denied drug, sex claims against producer three years ago
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin white group results
- No Russia-Ukraine gas deal at EU talks; Moscow queries finances |
- 'Django Unchained' actress charged with lewd conduct
- Record Chelsea win prompts talk of another title assault