Tennis-Wawrinka sets up all-Swiss showdown with Federer
LONDON, July 1
LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - Australian Open champion Stanislas Wawrinka set up a mouth-watering Wimbledon quarter-final showdown with fellow Swiss Roger Federer after edging past 19th seed Feliciano Lopez 7-6(5) 7-6(7) 6-3 on Tuesday.
The fifth seed had complained about his punishing schedule before the match but was efficiency itself as he won the pivotal points to snatch the first two sets on tiebreaks on the bowl-like Court Two.
Spanish left-hander Lopez, a regular in the second week of Wimbledon, lost seemed to lose composure in the third set as Wawrinka moved into his first Wimbledon quarter-final.
The 29-year-old's clash with Davis Cup team mate Federer will be his third match in three days after his progress was clogged by weekend rain that made a mess of the schedule. (Editing by Martyn herman)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- KTM owner buys Husqvarna motorcycle brand from BMW