NHL-Kirilenko calls off engagement with Capitals' Ovechkin
July 21 (Reuters) - Russian tennis player Maria Kirilenko has called off her engagement to Washington Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin, R-Sport said on Monday, as another high-profile sporting romance hit the rocks.
Just two months after newly crowned British Open champion Rory McIlroy and Danish tennis star Caroline Wozniacki called it quits, Ovechkin, a three-time National Hockey League most valuable player, and Kirilenko have also split.
"I have decided to terminate the engagement," said Kirilenko, who announced the breakup through the Russian Tennis Federation press service. "There are many reasons but do not want to go into details.
"I respect Sasha as a person and athlete and I sincerely wish him continued athletic success."
Kirilenko, winner of six WTA singles titles, and Ovechkin met in 2011 and were engaged in 2012.
Perhaps things will look up professionally for each of them, as McIlroy went on to lift the Claret Jug at Hoylake for his third major championship triumph, while Wozniacki claimed the winner's trophy in the Istanbul tournament on Sunday. (Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto; Editing by Larry Fine)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Divided, Scots prepare to vote on fate of the United Kingdom |
- Factbox - Scotland's independence vote: How will the results come?
- Scottish supporters of United Kingdom have 4 percent point lead - YouGov poll
- Silent Europe aghast at possible breakup of Britain
- Russia, Egypt seal preliminary arms deal worth $3.5 billion - agency