Tennis-Raonic blasts way into U.S. Open third round
NEW YORK Aug 28 (Reuters) - Fifth seed Milos Raonic blasted his way into the third round of the U.S. Open, pounding 26 aces past Peter Gojowczyk on his way to a 7-6 (4) 5-7 6-4 7-6 (3) win on Thursday.
Raonic, who became the first Canadian man to reach a grand slam semi-final at Wimbledon in July, produced a muscular display on a gusty evening at the U.S. National Tennis Center.
Along with his 26 aces, Raonic fired 64 winners in the three hour scrap with the German qualifier.
Raonic will next meet Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic who beat Croatia's Borna Coric 7-6 (2) 4-6 6-4 6-2. (Reporting by Steve Keating; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin red group results
- NATO, Swedish fighters scrambled to intercept Russian plane