Tennis-Raonic blasts way into U.S. Open third round
NEW YORK Aug 28 (Reuters) - Fifth seed Milos Raonic blasted his way into the third round of the U.S. Open, pounding 26 aces past Peter Gojowczyk on his way to a 7-6 (4) 5-7 6-4 7-6 (3) win on Thursday.
Raonic, who became the first Canadian man to reach a grand slam semi-final at Wimbledon in July, produced a muscular display on a gusty evening at the U.S. National Tennis Center.
Along with his 26 aces, Raonic fired 64 winners in the three hour scrap with the German qualifier.
Raonic will next meet Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic who beat Croatia's Borna Coric 7-6 (2) 4-6 6-4 6-2. (Reporting by Steve Keating; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Iran to push for Saudi oil output cut at OPEC - Mehr news agency
- Aviva falls on Friends Life merger plan doubts |
- BT lines up O2 and EE in quest for British telecoms supremacy
- Aviva, Friends Life 5.6 billion pound merger plan makes sense - investors
- Hagel, under pressure, resigns as U.S. defence secretary |