June 2 (Reuters) - Smiths City Group Ltd:
* Announces a planned return of NZ$5.7 million to shareholders
* Smiths City forecasts preliminary unaudited operating earnings for year to 30 April 2017 will range between NZ$1.9 million and NZ$2.1 million
* Capital return will see Smiths City acquire and cancel three in every twenty shares at 72 cents per share
* A weakening in sales and earnings momentum, particularly in Q4, has followed on from a softening in consumer sentiment
* "Operating earnings for second half of year are forecast to be lower than $1.5 million achieved in first half of financial year"
* "Smiths City expects to pay a final dividend as it has in previous years"
* Tougher trading conditions in second half of financial year have slowed strong rise on prior year's $1.3 million operating result
* All figures in NZ$ Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: