Dec 23 The following are the top stories in the
Financial Times. Reuters has not verified these stories and does
not vouch for their accuracy.
* British Airways cabin crew lift Christmas strike threat on.ft.com/2ihM468
* Italian government approves bailout of Monte dei Paschi di
* Prison Service deploys 'Tornado' squads to Kent prison on.ft.com/2ihPJAG
* US sues Barclays for fraud over crisis-era loans
- Unite called off a Christmas strike action suspending a
planned walkout by some British Airways cabin crew after new
proposals from management.
- The Italian government approved Monte dei Paschi di
Siena's bailout, led by prime minister Paolo
Gentiloni. State rescue of the country's third largest bank,
saddled by non-performing loans, became necessary after it
failed to raise enough capital in the wake of European-wide
- Prison guards were working to control a disturbance
involving 60 inmates at HMP Swaleside on the Isle of Sheppey in
Kent. Prisoners had taken control of a landing on a wing at the
category B prison.
- Federal prosecutors sued Barclays and two of its
executives over fraudulent mortgage-backed securities the bank
issued as the US housing bubble was at its peak. The suit claims
the bank "securitised billions of dollars of loans it knew had
material defects" and financed lenders that it knew were issuing
mortgages to customers who would be unable to repay them.
(Compiled by Sangameswaran S in Bengaluru; Editing by Jonathan