Feb 8 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening 8 points
lower on Wednesday, according to financial bookmakers.
* The UK blue chip index closed up 0.2 percent at 7,186.22 points on
Tuesday, boosted by a weak sterling and a surge in services company DCC,
while UK mid-caps posted a record closing level.
* RIO TINTO: Global miner Rio Tinto, said on Wednesday it
will pay a bigger-than-expected annual dividend of $1.70 per share on the back
of a strong recovery in mineral commodities markets in 2016 and cost-cutting.
* CO-OPERATIVE GROUP: Britain's Co-operative Group said Richard
Pennycook, its CEO who played a key role in steering the group through a 2013
crisis, is to step down on March 1 and be succeeded by Steve Murrells, the
current boss of the group's food business.
* SHIRE: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission filed a complaint against Shire
ViroPharma on Tuesday, accusing it of abusing government processes in order to
fend off generic competition to its antibiotic Vancocin HCI, the agency said in
* BHP: Workers are set to strike on Thursday at BHP Billiton Plc's
Escondida copper mine after contract talks mediated by the Chilean
government failed to reach a deal, the main union at the world's largest copper
mine told Reuters.
* BRITAIN ECONOMY: British employers struggled to find the staff they needed
in January, forcing them to increase starting salaries for permanent staff at
the fastest pace in nine months, a survey showed on Wednesday.
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
Victrex Plc Q1 2017
Redrow Plc Half Year 2017 Earnings Release
Dunelm Group Plc Half Year 2017 Earnings Release
Hargreaves Lansdown Plc Half Year 2017 Earnings Release
Tullow Oil Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings Release
GlaxoSmithKline Plc Q4 2016 Earnings Release
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : topnews.reuters.com
(Reporting by Rahul in Bengaluru; Editing by Amrutha Gayathri)