(Adds futures, company news items)
Feb 17 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening flat at
7278 points on Friday, according to financial bookmakers , with futures
up 0.02 percent ahead of the cash market open.
* The blue-chip FTSE 100 index ended the day down 0.3 percent at
7,277.92 points on Thursday, in line with a broader decline among European
indexes. The FTSE dropped 28.46 points, of which 27.64 were due to ex-divs,
according to Reuters calculations.
* ESSENTRA: Essentra Plc, a supplier of speciality plastic and
packaging components, said full-year profit fell 26 percent on flagging sales at
its health and personal care packaging unit, due to integration issues from an
acquisition completed in 2015.
* ANGLO AMERICAN: Anglo American is struggling to win approval from
regulators for its plan to redesign its El Soldado copper mine in Chile, two
sources with knowledge of the situation said on Thursday, which could possibly
lead to the suspension of operations at the mine.
* BREXIT: Britain should be prepared to scrap all tariffs on imports
unilaterally when it leaves the European Union to give consumers and the broader
economy a boost, even if it hurts some businesses, economists who favour Brexit
said on Thursday.
* OIL: Oil prices edged up on Friday, lifted by a report that producer club
OPEC could extend an output cut aimed at reining in a global fuel supply
overhang. Brent crude futures were trading at $55.76 per barrel at 0311
GMT, up 11 cents from their last close.
* COPPER: Copper prices climbed on Friday following overnight losses,
supported above the key $6,000-mark by major supply restrictions at the world's
two biggest mines in Chile and Indonesia. Three-month copper on the London Metal
Exchange was up around 0.8 percent at $6,005 at 0245 GMT, after earlier
climbing as far $6,038. It fell over 1 percent the session before.
* GOLD: Gold prices held firm on Friday as the dollar hovered near one-week
lows, keeping the metal on track for a third week of gains amid political
uncertainties in the United States and Europe. Spot gold was steady at
$1,238.16 per ounce at 0321 GMT.
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
Temple Bar Investment Trust Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings
Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings
SEGRO Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings
Essentra Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : topnews.reuters.com
(Reporting by Sanjeeban Sarkar in Bengaluru; Editing by Sherry Jacob-Phillips)