Jan 15 A US Airways LCC.N A320 Airbus
jetliner with about 150 people on board came down into the
Hudson River off Manhattan after apparently hitting a flock of
geese and officials said everyone was rescued. [ID:nN15544297]
Here are some details on the type of plane involved.
* The twin-engine A320 typically seats 150 people.
* It is part of a family of four variants of Airbus
single-aisle airliner that is the workhorse of many short and
medium-range fleets, competing with the Boeing (BA.N) 737.
* A total of 797 Airbus single-aisle planes are in
operation worldwide including 425 A320s.
* US Airways has 75 A320s in operation, according to
* The A320 is sold with a choice of engines:
- The CFM 56, made by CFM International, a joint venture
between by GE Aviation (GE.N) and France's Safran (SAF.PA).
- The V2500, made by International Aero Engines, a
consortium of Rolls Royce (RR.L), United Technologies (UTX.N)
unit Pratt & Whitney, Germany's MTU (MTXGn.DE) and Japanese
Aero Engines, which is in turn a consortium of three Japanese
* The A320 is worth $77 million at list prices.
* It has a range of 3,060 nautical miles or 5,700
* The aircraft first entered service in 1988.
(Reporting by Tim Hepher, editing Eric Beech)