DHAKA, March 3 Bangladesh cricket authorities
expressed sadness over the deadly attack on the Sri Lankan team
bus in Lahore on Tuesday but hoped Pakistan would still go
ahead with their limited overs tour of the country.
"We are deeply saddened by the unfortunate events and
express solidarity with the players, match officials and
victims of the attack," the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) said
in a statement.
Unidentified gunmen attacked Sri Lanka's cricket team bus
with rifles, grenades and rockets, wounding six players and a
British coach, as it was being driven to Lahore's Gaddafi
stadium for the third day of the second test.
Six Pakistanis were killed in the attack following which
the test was cancelled.
The BCB officials said they were in constant touch with
their counterparts in Sri Lanka and Pakistan and the
International Cricket Council after the attack.
However, the Bangladesh board were also mulling over the
fate of the home series against Pakistan scheduled from next
Pakistan are due to arrive on Saturday on a 16-day trip to
play two Twenty20 Internationals and five one-dayers.
"We are observing the whole situation. We will watch how
the incident and the aftermath unfold and respond accordingly,"
said Ahmed Sazzadul Alam, organising committee chairman for the
"However, our preparation is almost complete and we are
ready to go ahead with the series," he added.
Dhaka is scheduled to stage the Twenty20 games on March 10
and 12 as well as the first three one-dayers on March 13, 15
and 17. Chittagong is due to stage the last two ODIs on March
20 and 22.
The series is a reciprocal trip as Bangladesh went on a
tour last year to fill in after Australia cancelled their trip
at the eleventh hour on security ground.
Bangladesh promised high security for the tourists after a
mutiny at the country's paramilitary headquarters killed at
least 80 people, mostly army officers, last week.
(Reporting by Azad Majumder, editing by N.Ananthanarayanan)