Dec 9 The Gas Exporting Countries Forum (GECF)
on Wednesday selected a candidate from Russia, by far the
world's biggest natural gas exporter, as its secretary-general.
The 11-member group, which controls nearly 70 percent of the
world's gas reserves, picked Leonid Bokhanovsky, vice-president
of energy engineering and construction firm Stroytransgaz, at a
meeting in Qatar. [ID:nGEE5B80V9]
Here are five facts about Bokhanovsky:
* Leonid Vitalievich Bokhanovsky was born on May 10, 1958.
* He graduated from the Moscow State Institute of
International Relations and worked for Rostest, the Russian
Centre for Tests and Certification, between 1997 and 1998.
* He worked for several Russian banks between 1998 and 2001,
specialising in areas including relations with foreign banks and
leading international projects.
* He joined energy engineering and construction firm
Stroytransgaz in 2001, assuming his current role of first
vice-president and head of development in 2006.
* In fulfilling his role as GEFC secretary-general, he plans
to develop research functions, technology sharing, monitoring of
gas reserves and production, pipeline and seaborne transport
projects and to promote natural gas consumption worldwide.