Dec 9 The Gas Exporting Countries Forum (GECF) on Wednesday selected a candidate from Russia, by far the world's biggest natural gas exporter, as its secretary-general.
The 11-member group, which controls nearly 70 percent of the world's gas reserves, picked Leonid Bokhanovsky, vice-president of energy engineering and construction firm Stroytransgaz, at a meeting in Qatar. [ID:nGEE5B80V9]
Here are five facts about Bokhanovsky:
* Leonid Vitalievich Bokhanovsky was born on May 10, 1958.
* He graduated from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations and worked for Rostest, the Russian Centre for Tests and Certification, between 1997 and 1998.
* He worked for several Russian banks between 1998 and 2001, specialising in areas including relations with foreign banks and leading international projects.
* He joined energy engineering and construction firm Stroytransgaz in 2001, assuming his current role of first vice-president and head of development in 2006.
* In fulfilling his role as GEFC secretary-general, he plans to develop research functions, technology sharing, monitoring of gas reserves and production, pipeline and seaborne transport projects and to promote natural gas consumption worldwide.
Our top photos from the last 24 hours.