Reuters logo
UPDATE 2-Motor racing-F1 exit looms for Senna after HRT snub
January 7, 2011 / 11:02 AM / 7 years ago

UPDATE 2-Motor racing-F1 exit looms for Senna after HRT snub

* Senna “100 percent” certain not to race for HRT

* Indian Narain Karthikeyan signed as driver (Adds Senna quotes)

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON, Jan 7 (Reuters) - Brazilian Bruno Senna was struggling to keep his Formula One career alive on Friday after the HRT team ruled him out of the running for their second race seat this season.

“I can definitely say that Mr Bruno Senna is not going to race for HRT. One hundred percent not,” team principal Colin Kolles told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Senna, the nephew of the late great and triple world champion Ayrton, made his debut for newcomers HRT (Hispania) last year but recognised he now had few options left to him with no realistic vacancies anywhere else.

“Maybe he is right,” the driver told Reuters from Brazil.

”The situation is a bit difficult in F1 right now...I didn’t really have the opportunity to show what I could do last year because of various problems and that didn’t help me for this season.

“We are in talks for the few opportunities that are still open but I can’t say it’s very easy at the moment. Even Nico (Hulkenberg) is struggling to find a competitive seat,” he added.

”We may see some talents wasted because of the current situation.

“I hope I can take any opportunities that are available...you never know,” said Senna, whose team failed to score a point last year.

Spanish-owned HRT announced on Friday they had signed Indian Narain Karthikeyan, who last raced for Jordan in 2005, as one of their 2011 drivers.

The only remaining vacancies, apart from the second HRT seat, are now at Force India -- who are expected to opt for Germany’s Adrian Sutil and Briton Paul di Resta.

However Italian Vitantonio Liuzzi and Germany’s Hulkenberg, who raced for Williams last year before making way for well-funded Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado, are also under consideration.

The decision to sign Karthikeyan, 33, also dashed the immediate hopes of compatriot Karun Chandhok who started 10 races for HRT last year before being replaced by better-funded drivers at the Spanish-owned outfit.

Kolles said Austrian Christian Klien and Japan’s Sakon Yamamoto, who both raced for HRT last year, remained in the frame along with others.

“There are a few drivers we are talking about,” he said, without giving any names.

Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Editing by Kevin Fylan; To query or comment on this story emailsportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below