NUERBURGRING, Germany, July 11 (Reuters) - Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone expects Max Mosley to stand down as head of the sport’s governing body in October.
Mosley, who survived calls for his resignation last year after a sado-masochistic sex scandal, said last month that he would stand down rather than seek a fifth term in office as International Automobile Federation (FIA) president.
However, he has since hinted he could reconsider, suggesting that he was under pressure from FIA members to continue.
“I have no doubt in my mind, as long as I’ve known Max, he’s always done what he said he would do,” Ecclestone told the Times newspaper on Saturday.
“He’s an honourable person,” added the 78-year-old Briton at the German Grand Prix.
“I’ve always said Max can have a cheque signed by me, without any name or amount on it, because he’s a trustworthy guy. So I have no doubt that he will honour all the things he’s ever said he will do.”
Finland’s Ari Vatanen, the 1981 world rally champion and a former member of the European Parliament, is so far the only definite candidate for the position. Former Ferrari boss Jean Todt is expected to stand if Mosley decides not to. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Editing by Peter Rutherford; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)