X
Edition:
United Kingdom

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defence
    • Autos
    • Banks
    • Central Banks
    • Reuters Summits
    • Macroscope Blog
    • Business Video
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • UK Markets
    • European Markets
    • Market Analysis
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Earnings
    • FXpert
    • Currencies
    • Commodities
    • Funds
  • World
    • World Home
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Germany
    • France
    • U.S.
    • China
    • Middle East
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
    • Japan
    • World Video
  • UK
    • UK Home
    • Economy
    • EU Referendum
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Media
    • Science
    • Tech Video
    • Innovation
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Analyst Research
    • Fund Screener
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
  • Sport
    • Sport Home
    • Football
    • Formula One
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
    • Rugby Union
    • Sport Video
  • Rio 2016
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
UPDATE 1-Michael Jackson auction canceled, exhibit continues
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
Media News | Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:31am BST

UPDATE 1-Michael Jackson auction canceled, exhibit continues

* Michael Jackson auction canceled

* Beverly Hills exhibit to continue through April 25

* Auctioneer had expected sale to raise $10 million (Updates with auction canceled)

By Jill Serjeant

BEVERLY HILLS, April 14 A huge auction of Michael Jackson memorabilia scheduled for next week was canceled on Tuesday and auctioneers agreed to return all the items to the singer.

Auctioneer Darren Julien told Reuters the cancellation of the planned April 22-25 sale was the result of an agreement with Jackson, who had filed a lawsuit in March demanding the return of certain items.

A public exhibit of the 1,400 lots which opened on Tuesday in Beverly Hills will continue until April 25.

"The auction isn't going to take place. We wanted to reach an agreement (with Jackson) and we have reached one today that is mutually acceptable and beneficial," Julien said.

Julien said all the items -- including a single crystal white glove worn in the singer's "Billie Jean" performances and the gates to his Neverland Ranch in California -- would be returned to Jackson when the exhibit closes.

Jackson's spokesman, Tohme R. Tohme, said in a joint statement with Julien the two groups "are pleased" with the agreement and that it "allows Michael Jackson to retain ownership of the Collection of Michael Jackson."

Julien signed agreements with Tohme and removed hundreds of items from Jackson's shuttered and sold Neverland Ranch for the sale, which was expected to fetch about $10 million.

It would have been the largest authorized auction of items associated with the self-styled King of Pop, who has been a virtual recluse since his 2005 acquittal on charges of molesting a young boy at Neverland.

But on March 4, Tohme and Jackson's production company filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles seeking the return of unspecified items. Although a Los Angeles judge ruled earlier this month the auction could proceed, the two sides continued talks to settle the dispute.

COLLECTION TO BE SHARED WITH PUBLIC?

Julien said earlier this month he had spent some $2 million preparing the sale and the exhibit.

He did not say how much Jackson had agreed to pay under Tuesday's settlement but added; "We are very happy. We are happy because he is happy."

Tuesday's statement suggested the items would find a permanent public home in the future but gave no details.

"There was so much interest from so many of Jackson's fans that instead of putting the items in the hands of private collectors, Dr. Tohme and Julien's Auction House have made arrangements that will allow the collection to be shared with and enjoyed by Jackson's fans for many years to come," the statement said.

The 30,000 square-foot (2,787 sq metre) exhibit includes Jackson's red, gilded throne, his Rolls-Royce stretch limo, sequined costumes, portraits of Jackson, pictures of Peter Pan, and toys from the Neverland ranch.

Abby Marie, a Jackson fan visiting on Tuesday, told Reuters earlier it would be a pity to see the items sold off to separate bidders. "I hope one person buys it all and puts it in a museum," she said.

Jackson adopted a low-profile after his 2005 molestation trial, but in March he announced a run of 50 comeback concerts in London starting in July that sold out within hours. (Editing by Todd Eastham)

Trending Stories

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In Media News

    Ex-U.S. Navy SEAL author agrees to pay $6.8 mln to govt -NY Times

    WASHINGTON, Aug 20 A former U.S. Navy SEAL who wrote a book about the daring operation on Osama Bin Laden's compound in Pakistan has agreed to forfeit $6.8 million in book royalties and speaking fees, the New York Times reported on Friday, citing federal court documents.

    UPDATE 6-Trump campaign manager Manafort quits after troubled stretch

    Aug 19 Donald Trump's U.S. presidential campaign sealed a major staff reshuffle with the resignation on Friday of its campaign chairman, and the Republican nominee tried to end weeks of upheaval to focus on beating Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

    UPDATE 1-Incoming Viacom CEO plans investor campaign as shakeup looms

    NEW YORK, Aug 19 As Viacom Inc prepares for the impending departure of CEO Philippe Dauman, his interim replacement, Thomas Dooley, is planning to reach out to investors, setting a new tone for a company that has kept communications minimal.

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • RSS
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Newsletters | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy