Reuters logo
Puerto Rico advances in airport privatizing plans
June 27, 2011 / 5:06 PM / 6 years ago

Puerto Rico advances in airport privatizing plans

SAN JUAN, June 27 (Reuters) - Puerto Rico has won approval from airlines at San Juan’s Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, a key step in selling the rights to run the Caribbean’s busiest airport, the governor said.

In a bid to lower a big deficit, the U.S. commonwealth last week agreed to a $1.08 billion private concession to operate two toll roads. The deal is the first in a planned series of public-private partnerships (PPP) the government hopes will jump-start its economy by providing additional revenue.

Gov. Luis Fortuno told island business leaders that officials this week would begin the process to solicit private investors to run the airport after securing the required 65 percent support of airlines operating out of the airport.

“For the first quarter of next year, we will have an a PPP operating at the Luis Munoz Marino International Airport. That’s where we are going.” Fortuno said Friday before the Puerto Rico Chamber of Commerce’s annual convention.

After lining up qualified bidders, the island government will solicit proposals this fall, the governor said.

If a deal is reached as part of a federal pilot program, it would be the first full-sized airport under the U.S. flag to be privately managed.

David Alvarez, the executive director of the commonwealth’s Public-Private Partnership Authority said last week the PPP could become a template for other government entities seeking private capital for public infrastructure.

Last week, Fortuno’s administration said it selected Autopistas Metropolitanas de Puerto Rico LLC, a consortium including Abertis Infraestructuras (ABE.MC) and Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Partners II LP GSGSC.UL for a 40-year highway concession contract.

The group’s upfront payment of $1.08 billion was 12.5 percent more than a competing bid and 20 percent more than the government’s internal estimate of $902 million.

Nearly all of the proceeds from the highways PPP will be used to retire bonds and other long-term debt, according to government officials.

The Fortuno administration has cut a $3.3 billion deficit it inherited in January 2009 to $616 million for the 2012 fiscal year, starting July 1, and wants to completely eliminate it next year.

Reporting by Reuters in San Juan; additional reporting and writing by Michael Connor in Miami

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below