May 5 (Reuters) - Factbox on Didier Deschamps who was appointed coach of Olympique Marseille on Tuesday on a two-year contract from the start of the 2009-10 season:
* Born: Oct. 15, 1968 in Bayonne, France, the midfielder made his league debut for French side Nantes in Sept. 1985 before leaving to join Olympique Marseille four years later.
* Won the first of his 103 caps for France in 1989 when he came on as a substitute in a 0-0 World Cup qualifier at home to Yugoslavia.
* After spending a brief stint at Girondins Bordeaux he returned to Marseille where he helped to clinch the league championship in 1991 and 1992 before achieving Champions League glory in 1993.
* Moved to Italian side Juventus in 1994 and won three Serie A titles and the Champions League again in 1996.
* Was famously derided as a "water carrier" by former France team mate Eric Cantona, who meant that Deschamps would break up attacks before laying the ball off for more talented players.
* Captained France to World Cup victory on home soil in 1998 and followed that with victory at Euro 2000 before retiring from international football.
* In between the World Cup and Euro 2000 triumphs he moved to English side Chelsea but left after one disappointing season and moved to Valencia, where he also played a single campaign before retirement in 2001.
* In 2001 he became manager of Monaco and won the 2003 French League Cup title before leading them to the 2004 Champions League final but they lost to Portuguese side Porto 3-0.
* He resigned in Sept. 2005 after a bad start to the season.
* Returned to Italy and was appointed Juventus coach in July 2006 following their demotion from Serie A after a match-fixing scandal. After persuading several top players to stay he led the team straight back to the top flight despite a nine-point deduction.
* However he resigned just a week after Juve secured promotion amid disagreements with club officials over the way forward in Serie A.
* Appointed successor to Eric Gerets as manager of Olympique Marseille on Tuesday for the 2009/10 season.
Compiled by Patrick Johnston; Editing by Clare Fallon; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org