May 5 Factbox on Didier Deschamps who was
appointed coach of Olympique Marseille on Tuesday on a two-year
contract from the start of the 2009-10 season:
* Born: Oct. 15, 1968 in Bayonne, France, the midfielder
made his league debut for French side Nantes in Sept. 1985
before leaving to join Olympique Marseille four years later.
* Won the first of his 103 caps for France in 1989 when he
came on as a substitute in a 0-0 World Cup qualifier at home to
* After spending a brief stint at Girondins Bordeaux he
returned to Marseille where he helped to clinch the league
championship in 1991 and 1992 before achieving Champions League
glory in 1993.
MOVE TO ITALY
* Moved to Italian side Juventus in 1994 and won three Serie
A titles and the Champions League again in 1996.
* Was famously derided as a "water carrier" by former France
team mate Eric Cantona, who meant that Deschamps would break up
attacks before laying the ball off for more talented players.
* Captained France to World Cup victory on home soil in 1998
and followed that with victory at Euro 2000 before retiring from
* In between the World Cup and Euro 2000 triumphs he moved
to English side Chelsea but left after one disappointing season
and moved to Valencia, where he also played a single campaign
before retirement in 2001.
* In 2001 he became manager of Monaco and won the 2003
French League Cup title before leading them to the 2004
Champions League final but they lost to Portuguese side Porto
* He resigned in Sept. 2005 after a bad start to the season.
* Returned to Italy and was appointed Juventus coach in July
2006 following their demotion from Serie A after a match-fixing
scandal. After persuading several top players to stay he led the
team straight back to the top flight despite a nine-point
* However he resigned just a week after Juve secured
promotion amid disagreements with club officials over the way
forward in Serie A.
* Appointed successor to Eric Gerets as manager of Olympique
Marseille on Tuesday for the 2009/10 season.
(Compiled by Patrick Johnston; Editing by Clare Fallon; To
query or comment on this story email