2 Min Read
PARIS, June 1 (Reuters) - Highlights from day five of the French Open tennis championships on Thursday (all times GMT):
- Fifth seed Elina Svitolina had to claw her way back from a set down to beat former quarter-finalist Tsvetana Pironkova 3-6 6-3 6-2.
1100 HOME FAVOURITE CORNET STORMS PAST Strycova
- Alize Cornet recovered from 4-2 down in the first set to bag a 6-4 6-1 win over Barbora Strycova of Czech Republic.
- Seventh seed Marin Cilic, one of six men's grand slam champions in the draw, claims a comfortable 6-3 6-2 6-2 win over Russian Konstantin Kravchuk. The Croatian hit an impressive tally of 37 winners during the match.
- Daria Kasatkina defeated Marketa Vondrousova 7-6(1) 6-4 in a battle of next-generation Czech youngsters. The 20-year-old reached the third round at Roland Garros for the second consecutive year.
- Istanbul Open champion Marin Cilic, women's ninth-seed Agnieszka Radwanska and 20th-seed Barbora Strycova play their second round matches action on day five.
- Men's world number one Andy Murray and number three Stan Wawrinka will take the court later on Thursday. (Compiled by Aditi Prakash and Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru, editing by Pritha Sarkar)